What I'm Reading Now!

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold


Pages: 328
Genre: Fiction

Back Cover Synopsis: "'My name is Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973.' So begins the story of Susie Salmon, who is adjusting to her new home in heaven, a place that is not at all what she expected, even as she is watching life on earth continue without her--her friends trading rumors about her disappearance, her killer trying to cover his tracks, her grief-stricken family unraveling."

Review: This book is sad, uplifting, heart-wrenching, and devastating. I wouldn't recommend it for the weak of heart or spirit. The murder scene could be considered a little detailed for some. So, if you shy away from those types of things, you might want to pick another book. With that said, I thought the book was completely and wholly interesting. I was enthralled. The concept is such a new idea, at least for me. I had never read a book from the point of view of a murder victim in heaven. It was very interesting to see her take on the life that was happening without her.

If you are looking for a well-written work of fiction that is not only interesting, but encourages you to think about your own life and loved ones, pick this one up. You won't be disappointed.

4 comments:

  1. I read this one because it is one that my oldest daughter really liked.... Id say your review is right on .... I found it a bit disturbing, but overall a very good read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, flit! I agree, it was disturbing--especially the murder scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the beginning totally freaked me out, but at the same time I knew I couldn't stop there and it only motivated me to finish it. I thought it was really interesting and enjoyed how it was told from the dead girl's point of view, something you don't see too often. The end frustrated me but that's all I'll say so I don't ruin the ending for someone else :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ashley. :)

    I definitely agree that the beginning was disturbing and the ending might not have been that fulfilling.

    Thanks again for commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete