What I'm Reading Now!

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Thursday, October 1, 2009

"Peter and the Starcatchers" by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson


Pages: 451
Genre: Children's, Fantasy Fiction

Back Cover Synopsis: In an evocative and fast-paced adventure on the high seas and on a faraway island, an orphan boy named Peter and his mysterious new friend, Molly, overcome bands ofpirates and thieves in their quest to keep a fantastical secret safe and save the world from evil. Best-selling authors Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson have turned back the clock to reveal the wonderful story that precedes J. M. Barrie's beloved Peter Pan. Peter and the Starcatchers is brimming with richly developed characters, from the scary but somehow familiar Black Stache and ferocious Mister Grin to the sweet but sophisticated Molly and fearless Peter. Page after page of riveting adventures take readers of all ages on a voyage from a filthy, crime-ridden port in old England across the turbulent sea. Aboard the Never Land is a trunk that holds the "greatest treasure on earth"--but is it gold, jewels, or something far more mysterious and dangerous?

Roiling waves and raging storms; skullduggery and pirate treachery provide the backdrop for battles at sea. Bone-crushing breakers eventually land our characters on Mollusk Island--where the action really heats up.

This impossible-to-put-down tale leads readers on an unforgettable journey--fraught with danger yet filled with mystical and magical moments.


Review: During my undergrad, I read this book for my Children's Lit class. I was immediately enthralled with it. The simple thought of hearing more of the Peter Pan story was enough for me to pick up this book. Who doesn't love that classic story? Barry and Pearson did an amazing job explaining things--like how Tinkerbell actually became tinkerbell, how Neverland was established, and so on.

I couldn't put this book down. I loved every moment of it--never a dull one, at that. It is thrilling, intriguing, and completely worth the time I put into reading it. Seriously, give it a try. I'm sure you won't regret it. It's really that good.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think they did an amazing job. Peter Pan had a backstory. Theirs is not even close. Plus, they have a TON of mistakes from Barrie's original tales. And if it's supposed to be a prequel to Disney's, they wind up contradicting that, too, later in the series.
    It seems like they never even bothered to read Barrie.

    For a Peter Pan adventure that's faithful and based on Barrie's own idea for more:
    http://www.peterpansneverworld.com/

    BELIEVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the_never_fairy,

    I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it as much as I did.

    But, I admire your enthusiasm for the magic of Peter Pan. Would you like to do a book review of your own? Perhaps on the classic Peter Pan story?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, but thank you. I liked the "Starcatchers" story itself... but just not as a Peter Pan story. I just don't see how it's acceptable to make fact-checking mistakes from the original story and to ignore Pan's original backstory altogether.

    Perhaps you would like to try rhe book I mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll definitely keep it in mind. Thanks for taking the time to comment and share your opinion. :) It is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking forward to reading this book. Even if it's not accurate to the original Peter Pan, as another interpretation of the story perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Jeane, for your comment. When you have a chance, I would love to hear what you thought about the book--once you have read it. :)

    ReplyDelete